Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Four Good Things

I feel like I’m already running short on time as I type this, so I’m just going to cap today off with a roundup of photos to collectively spell out my past week (plus a little bit of a surprise if you haven’t already been looking at some of my other social accounts)…

First, you may have noticed from some Instagram tagging, but I went out of town for a couple of days to visit family in Wisconsin. I’ve lived in Atlanta nearly all my life, but I was born 40 minutes outside of Milwaukee and still have family in the area. One of my cousins got married over the weekend, and her flowers were minimalist and beautiful!

We also had a memorial service for my grandmother today. Some of you may remember my post about this a few months ago about her passing, and our trip back “home” prompted the planning of a service for the family to get together to give her a proper farewell. We all spent a lot of time reminiscing (with the understandable amount of grief thrown in for good measure), and overall, it was a peaceful and happy event. Then, like true Wisconsinites, we toured a brewery. Knowing her the way we did, Granny would have been pleased with our day.

Fresh hops smell AMAZING.

I’ve also eaten an unreasonable amount of cheese and butter toffee popcorn. I do not regret it.

Second: holy cow, you guys really want a smoke detector. When I go out of town, I typically use a phone app to help approve comments when I can’t get to a computer, and the damn thing has been malfunctioning for three straight days. Normally, that’s not a problem—unless you launch a giveaway just before getting on a plane, like I did. I logged in tonight and see that there are well over a hundred additional comments that I hadn’t yet approved! So, a couple of things:

  • Clearly, you guys are really digging this giveaway. Good to know, I’ll try to have more like this.
  • A handful of you caught my mistake of calling it “a CO2 detector” — which, for those who napped that day in science class, is carbon dioxide, aka the gas we EXHALE. Which is obviously stupid and not what I really meant, as I meant carbon MONoxide or “CO”… except I made the mistake in the title of the post… which is what gets shared all over social media. And again, I didn’t check the comments for several days for obvious family reasons. Derp level: expert. I’m not even going to pretend that I won’t make a mistake like that again, because I do things like drink beer and then type. But hopefully you at least got a good laugh.
  • There are still a couple of days left to enter if you’d like to share the info with a friend, and my pal Jocie over at One Project Closer is running the same giveaway until the end of the week. So, if you want to increase your chances and double up entries, head over to her blog too and click on the entry widget.

Third, I’m working on the second installment of the laundry room makeover project recap that I began last week, except it’s super long (surprise!) and I don’t want to leave anything out. But hopefully I’ll have a little more down time starting tomorrow evening after yet another flight, which leads me to…

Fourth (and most awesome, IMO): as some of you have already spied, my shit-talking internet friend Kit, the “Black Feather Farm” DIY Diva,  has been painting her guest bedroom in prep for a visitor.

bedroom diy diva

Did you guess it’s for me? BECAUSE IT IS.

Despite the fact that we regularly do friend things like text about boys and chat over a beer and talk smack about who is going to paint a better staircase (coughcough me) and just about everything else, Kit and I have never actually met. And after five or so years of getting to know another human person, it seems like it was only fair that me being a single state away (which according to my flight itinerary is still at least one connecting flight, sheesh) was enough reason to finally visit. So I am. And I’m going to meet the nugs and the donkeys and ruin my shoes tromping around her farm and try not to get stung by bees. You know, farm stuff.

nugget black feather farm

Betting you a whole case of beer: it’s going to be pretty damn awesome.

The post Four Good Things appeared first on The Ugly Duckling House.

Website // Subscribe // Advertise // Twitter // Facebook // Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment