Sunday, June 21, 2015

Muzzled

Oh, guys. I hate this. I mentioned last week that Doc is showing signs of founder– probably from overindulging on spring grass–so I’ve restricted the donkeys to a very small part of the pasture, and I also bought these…

image

Muzzles.

So my little dudes can still stretch their legs in the larger pasture without STUFFING THEIR FACES every minute of the day. We tried them out as soon as they arrived, and, in typical donkey fashion, they both immediately set to solving the problem of the muzzle in different ways…

image

Parker went right for my heartstrings..

image

He basically wouldn’t leave my side for an hour, and kept giving me sad-eyes, which almost worked BECAUSE LOOK AT THAT FACE.

Doc, my problem-solver/master-fence-escaper tried a number of different tactics, like dragging his face across the concrete…

image

Rubbing his head on this old barn foundation…

image

Throwing a tantrum rivaling any toddler I’ve ever met…

image

And coercing Parker into teamwork…

image

None of these things worked while I was out monitoring them, but after I left them to their own devices and then came back an hour later…

image

Seriously Doc?

image

Donkeys.

I adjusted the straps so he can’t get the muzzle off anymore (and don’t worry, they have breakaway buckles) but, if I let them out with the muzzles for more than an hour or two, they start to get raw spots on the tops of their noses…

image

I swear, if it’s not one thing, it’s another. And this shit hurts my heart a little…

My best dudes. Hoof-cleaning used to be a stressful part of our routine, but we're rockin' it now. (i.e. I'm still getting love, instead of getting kicked in the face...)

They’re being awesome as far as daily hoof-pickings go, though. (And by “awesome” I mean they hate the shit out of it, but also don’t try to kick me in the face.) So now I’m working on modifying the muzzles and finding other ways to let them out in the pasture without overfeeding.

Life on the farm is never boring, that’s for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment