Tuesday, November 10, 2015

A New View

I’m walking a line here between really wanting to sit down and write about things going on around the farm. Things like prepping the garden for winter…

image

Prepping the bees for winter…

image

How the donkeys are prepping for winter by turning into BIG BALLS OF FLUFF.

image

(Just look at those faces.)

But it turns out I’m too busy prepping for winter to write about prepping for winter. Because life.

So, anyway here’s a thing that happened in the last couple of weeks that needs very few words.

This is what my house has always looked like from the street.

image

Hi trees.

Yeah, it’s a little akward for taking pictures of my house but awesome for walking around inside not wearing pants (which, let’s be honest… all the time) since they block all the major windows. I love my trees.

But, if you can’t tell from that evening pic, the one on the right is mostly dead. It started a year ago… apparently most of the big evergreen trees on my property are non-native and nearing the end of their lifespan.

So… this happened.

image

Whoa. Hi house.

image

That front garden isn’t going to be fully exposed now, so I’ll have to get my act together out there next year.)

It also seemed like a good time to take care of some other dead trees in the clusters of evergreens around the property, Over by the bees, for example…

image

Taking them down made this area around the hives WAY more exposed than I would like, so I probably should have waited until spring for this, but what’s done is done. I’ll be planting more native pines in this area next year.

The guys I* hired also trimmed up my lopsided redbud tree, and the crabapple in the back, as well as some other clean-up work. And I’d like to say “Oh, this is such a big change when I drive up to the house every evening,” but who the hell am I kidding? It’s pitch dark hours before I get home these days, so I probably won’t even notice that tree is gone until Spring.

Ugh. Daylight savings.

Sunsets at 5 aren’t my favorite thing, but they’re still pretty…

image

*You thought that was going to be a “surprise, this is sponsored” astrisk, but NOPE, actually just wanted to note that saying I hired them is a total lie because I’ve been stressed about finding a reputable company since early summer, so my mom was finally like LET ME BE A MOM AND TAKE CARE OF THIS. So she found and scheduled these guys for me, and stayed here to manage them while I was at work. All I did was write the check. So when I say “I hired” I mean, god bless my mother. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment